We want others to have a great impression of the university. We have unique accomplishments to share, points of pride to convey and guiding principles that set us apart. When it’s time to tell our story, the words we use can help us express our points clearly and authentically. Here are some ways to talk or write about Missouri State. You are welcome to use these messages for your unit’s presentations or publications.
Introducing Missouri State
This is the most basic description of Missouri State. If you use this statement, also incorporate other elements of the messaging on this page to bring these basic facts to life for your audience.
Missouri State University is a public university system with an enrollment of more than 20,000 students who come from around the state and the world. The main campus is in Springfield, Missouri. There are three other physical campuses, two in Missouri — West Plains and Mountain Grove — and one in Dalian, China.
Describing Missouri State
You may talk to, or write for, different audiences. Here are some ways to describe Missouri State to our various primary audiences. We hope you will tailor these points to your audiences using specific details or accomplishments from your own unit. You may break these messages into smaller pieces for print, tweets, etc., as needed.
- The goal:
- Attract, recruit and retain students who are the right fit for Missouri State, so we can continue being selective while upholding our longstanding reputation.
- The message:
What makes Missouri State different? We’re a big state university, but it doesn’t feel that way. Just visit our campus. You’ll experience a close-knit, friendly community that challenges you in the ways that matter. You’ll learn how to see the world differently, and follow your path with integrity. When you’re here, you’re a citizen Bear. When you graduate, you’re prepared to be a global citizen in the truest sense of the word. You’ll bring more to your career and your community. You'll always be ready to Make Your Missouri Statement.
- Shortest form:
- Missouri State will help you see the world differently, follow your path with integrity and become a global citizen. Get ready to Make Your Missouri Statement.
The campus community
- The goal:
- Upholding the mission of Missouri State and building alignment around our story.
- The message:
- At Missouri State, we are committed to cultivating well-rounded citizens who are prepared to lead full, successful lives. We are a diverse and inclusive community of expert faculty and staff members who are forward-thinking teachers, learners and leaders. We share and celebrate the public affairs mission of Missouri State and foster a culture that celebrates open dialogue. When students are here, we push them to go further by providing an unrivaled academic curriculum, meaningful student-teacher relationships and high-impact learning experiences. When students leave, they will transition into life as ready, able professionals who have the confidence and motivation to think beyond themselves and address societal issues. We’re here to help our students make their Missouri Statements.
- Shortest form:
- At Missouri State, we are a diverse and inclusive community of expert faculty and staff members who are forward-thinking teachers, learners and leaders.
Springfield community/industrial partners and potential partners
- The goal:
- Enhance the reputation of Missouri State and our students by strengthening and creating lasting partnerships.
- The message:
- Missouri State is committed to benefiting our surrounding communities. We want to create the next generation of citizen leaders through an unrivaled educational experience that emphasizes a commitment to public affairs. We cultivate students of character who enter the workforce as well-rounded professionals and honest, confident individuals. We believe in innovation, bringing fresh, relevant ideas to our area. We are dedicated to enriching our city and region, whether through cultural offerings, research and scholarly endeavors, internship programs or the development of facilities that serve a broader community beyond our campus borders. When you partner with Missouri State, you tap into a network of leaders with an appreciation for big-picture thinking and a continual desire to address the professional, personal and societal needs of our changing region. There’s no limit to the statement we can make together.
- Shortest form:
- When you partner with Missouri State, you tap into a network of leaders with an appreciation for big-picture thinking and a continual desire to address the professional, personal and societal needs of our changing region.
Influential leaders (i.e., government and policy makers)
- The goal:
- Differentiate Missouri State from our peers and competitors to build greater visibility in the state and region.
- The message:
- Missouri State makes a positive impact in our state and beyond by empowering students and campus community members to become citizens who influence society for the better through civic engagement. Our expert faculty and staff members shape the next generation of honest, confident workforce leaders through an unrivaled educational experience that emphasizes a commitment to public affairs. We also believe in innovation, bringing fresh, relevant ideas and science-based jobs to our region through research and scholarly endeavors. We are dedicated to serving those beyond our campus borders, whether through cultural offerings, business and community partnerships or volunteer work. Missouri State is a good steward of state funding, investing wisely in the student experience and developing facilities that benefit the entire area. When you need a group to step up as state or regional leaders, look to those who are making their Missouri Statements.
- Shortest form:
- Missouri State makes a positive impact in our state and beyond by empowering students, faculty, staff and alumni to become citizens and workforce leaders who influence society for the better, and by encouraging civic engagement, innovation, creativity and development in our region.
What should people know about us?
Our institution has defining traits that set us apart. Here are some broad, general messages you can use to highlight these traits. We hope you will tailor these points to your audiences using specific details or accomplishments from your own unit. You may break these messages into smaller pieces for print, tweets, etc., as needed. The numbers/figures listed here may be used for infographics or other visuals.
The public affairs mission
When you’re here, you’re a Citizen Bear. Community engagement. Ethical leadership. Cultural competence. This is our mission, and now you’re part of it. Your education will be different at Missouri State because of this public affairs mission. You will find an emphasis on understanding the world and making it a better place. You will engage with your community. You will be ready to work and live with people from different backgrounds. Where will you take the world, Citizen Bear?
- 420,000+ hours of volunteer service provided by MSU each year in recent school years
- 70+ international destinations in which students may participate in short-term or long-term study away programs
- About 1,200 international students on the Springfield campus
- $152,000 in study-away scholarships awarded each year
- Public affairs signature events held each year include the Public Affairs Conference
Your statement to the world starts with the academic path you choose. Here, you’ll find robust programs with a focus on you, the student. Many of your instructors worked, or still work, in the areas they teach – so you can count on their expertise and connections. The Missouri State campus is a vibrant and energetic community of scholars and mentors. It’s a place where students discover who they are and where faculty shape and encourage the leaders of tomorrow. And it all starts with academic excellence.
- 170+ bachelor’s degree options; 10 can be completed entirely online
- 90+ graduate programs, including master’s and doctoral degrees
- 30+ academic programs have earned special accreditation, meaning they meet their field’s very highest standards
- Eight colleges. Limitless opportunities.
Missouri State’s academic programs are housed in our colleges and schools.
- College of Arts and Letters
- College of Business
- College of Education
- College of Humanities and Public Affairs
- College of Natural and Applied Sciences
- McQueary College of Health and Human Services
- William H. Darr College of Agriculture
- Graduate College
You live in the real world. So should your education. We want you to have a great time in class. But we know that’s not the only thing you need to prepare you for your profession. We believe in experiences: internships, networking, educational trips and more.
Faculty/student relationships and research
Are you ready to turn ideas into action? At Missouri State, our faculty members envision new ideas, then bring them to life through research, service and scholarly activities. As a Bear, you’ll be a part of the process. You may find opportunities to contribute in a high-tech lab facility, in a new city or in the field. You’ll have opportunities to work on real, publishable research, or present at national conferences.
- 500+ research projects are presented by MSU students each academic year
Facilities and resources
When we say we have incredible resources, we mean it. Brand-new buildings and amazing renovations have changed the face of the university in the last five to 10 years, and more improvements are on the way to keep enhancing your environment.
We can’t just say you will succeed at Missouri State and after graduation. Let us prove it. Our students are competitive at any level, winning international, national and regional awards or events. Bears have been accepted into highly competitive graduate programs. You, and all of your fellow Bears, have full access to the Career Center’s free services. The center can help you choose a professional path, teach you how to write a résumé, walk you through a mock interview, and much more.
An MSU degree prepares you at the highest possible level for a career, but it also prepares you for life. Bears have become senators, governors, CEOs, leaders in Fortune 500 companies, four-star generals, doctors, entrepreneurs, professional athletes and actors.
- 125,000+ alumni around the world. That’s great for networking possibilities!
You’re in the land of the Bears! Get ready to thrive in this close-knit community of thousands. Here, you’ll feel like you’re part of something bigger – because you are. Some of the most common words Bears use to describe the student body are passionate, engaged, positive, innovative, welcoming and awesome. Our traditions combine fun, such as Homecoming, with meaning, such as the community engagement service project. What else would you expect from a university with a public affairs mission?
It’s time to BEAR UP and get ready for game day. Missouri State has 17 NCAA Division I athletic teams. Students get in free to most home athletics events. The sports memories you’ll have forever will be made in incredible venues, including baseball’s Hammons Field, basketball’s JQH Arena, soccer’s Allison Stadium and newly renovated football Plaster Stadium.
Housing and dining
Living on campus has benefits for you. Students tend to be more successful when they live on campus, and they definitely are closer to all of the great things going on at Missouri State. Our dining services has options for everyone, including healthy balanced meals, vegan/vegetarian meals and choices for those with allergies or other dietary restrictions.
- 10 options for university housing. Each option is unique – we have everything from traditional halls to apartments – yet each has amenities including Wi Fi, 24-hour computer labs and free laundry facilities
- We offer living-learning communities, which allow you to live and study with students who have similar interests or goals
- About 4,000 students live in university housing
Your safety is a priority. There is a Springfield Police Substation right on campus, and we have well-lit walkways, cameras in parking lots and safety phones. Our residence halls are equipped with many safety features, such as card-access security systems and front-desk staff available 24 hours a day/seven days a week. The Missouri State Alert notification system will contact you and/or family members to inform you of university closings, severe weather alerts, security alerts or emergency situations.
Health and wellness
We have many services and facilities to help keep you well, fit and active. Campus recreation offers fitness and wellness classes. Our awesome Foster Recreation Center has a pool, rock-climbing wall, basketball courts, cardio machines and everything else you need to stay healthy. Need to see a doctor? Magers Health and Wellness Center has doctors, nurses and pharmacists dedicated to providing medical care for students.
You make your statement. We’ll put the cost within reach. College is the first step in your future success, and we know it’s a major investment. For more than 100 years, Missouri State’s philosophy has been: A quality college education should be within the financial reach of all students. Our total costs are lower than most other universities in the state and well below the national average. We invite you to compare.
- +70% of undergraduate students receive financial aid
- MSU students receive $150 million+ in financial aid each year
Springfield is a thriving community. It’s a growing business center and a town known for college life – but it’s so much more than a college town. It’s an optimistic, developing city where you can expect active networking as you start a career. It’s a place with a fun downtown, a supportive arts scene, great restaurants and farmers markets, professional and college sports teams and recreation opportunities in our gorgeous outdoors. Springfield is all this and more. What will it become to you?
- Springfield is the third-largest city in the state
- 400,000+ people live in the five-county metro area